The Student News Site of Pinewood School

The Perennial

The Perennial

The Perennial

Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

March Madness: Former Panthers Face Off on the Big Stage

Elle Ladine poses for a photo with the Pinewood girls basketball team and staff.

March Madness: every basketball player’s fever dream. From triumphant victories to heartbreaking losses and electrifying cheers to devastated tears, this tournament is a roller coaster of emotions. This year, two Pinewood girls basketball alumni, Hannah Jump ‘19 and Elle Ladine ‘22, might fulfill their dreams of competing in this prestigious tournament.

Pinewood’s girls basketball program, led by Head Coach Doc Scheppler, has maintained a legacy of excellence with its ability to consistently produce elite-level talent like Jump and Ladine. As Scheppler watches these two compete at the collegiate level, he reflects on how he feels witnessing their success on the big stage. 

“It’s so joyful and emotional for me to watch two players that we coached and embody the spirit of Pinewood play at the highest level,” Scheppler said. “It’s just a wonderful feeling.”

Jump is currently a fifth-year senior starting guard at Stanford University. She holds the record for the most threes in Stanford’s history with 344, and is now chasing the record for most threes in Pac-12 history, 373. 

Ladine is in her second season at the University of Washington as a starting guard and is putting up 12 points per game while shooting 44% from the field.

Earlier this year on Jan. 7, the current Pinewood girls basketball team traveled to Maples Pavilion to watch the heavily anticipated Stanford vs. Washington matchup that featured both Jump and Ladine. Scheppler said the experience was meaningful for himself and his team.

“It was super fun, and I got to see Hannah play live for Stanford for the first time,” he said. “I also think the girls got a nice example of who they can become.”

Senior Alex Facelo said  she was amazed watching Jump and Ladine play against each other.

“It was cool to see two Pinewood alumni that I know on a big stage like that,” Facelo said.

Currently, Stanford is ranked fourth in the nation and is predicted to be a one seed in the NCAA March Madness tournament, making them one of the favorites to win the national championship. Conversely, Washington started the season hot with an 11-game win streak, but have fallen to a record of 13-13. Due to recent struggles, Washington, ranked tenth in the Pac-12, is unlikely to make the cut for March Madness.

Regardless of how well their respective teams are doing, Jump and Ladine are certainly flourishing individually. Assistant Coach Kiki Nakano said she’s proud of the success they’ve had.

“It’s incredible to see them playing in the Pac-12 and thriving,” Nakano said. “The best part for me is just seeing how happy they are.”