Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

“Matilda” Comes to Pinewood

Coming-of-age stories are an essential part of our culture, as many watch movies and tv-shows, read books and listen to music centered around growing up. “Matilda the Musical” is one such example.     

Pinewood’s spring musical, based on the original novel of the same name by Roald Dahl, will be performed Apr. 25-27 and May 2-4. The story is told from the perspective of 5-year-old genius Matilda Wormwood as she goes through the ups and downs of her particularly haunting childhood. With mean parents at home and a nasty school principal, Matilda finds escape through her fantastical imagination and reading.

The musical is full of unique and interesting characters including the school principal, Agatha Trunchbull, played by junior Leo Gray.

“I think my character is so fun,” Gray said. “She is the headmistress of the school. She’s this like evil, crazy, horrible lady who hates children. I get to play the villain, and it’s so fun.”

The show also includes other young students at Crunchem Hall, played by junior high students.

“Matilda gives a lot of opportunities for our younger students to shine and to grow,” director Doug Eivers said.

Eighth grader Nerea Amezcua appreciates getting to work with the high school students because they

are fun to work with and they push her to work harder.

“You don’t have an entire semester to put it together,” Amezcua said. “You just have like three months. It goes a lot faster, and you have to be more on top of things.”

Matilda is a show full of life, imagination, energy, creativity and vital life lessons.

“It’s Matilda. What’s not to love?” said freshman Zachary Gill, who plays the

character of Bruce Bogtrotter.