The Student News Site of Pinewood School

The Perennial

The Perennial

The Perennial

Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

Senior Alex Facelo Breaks Pinewood Basketball Records

Senior+Alex+Facelo+shoots+during+the+Feb.+2+game.+
Sam Jezak
Senior Alex Facelo shoots during the Feb. 2 game.

Shooters shoot, as the saying goes. And on Feb. 2, that’s exactly what senior Alexandra Facelo did. 

In an away game against Crystal Springs Uplands, Facelo logged 42 points and 12 3-pointers, both new Pinewood records. The record for most 3-pointers, previously held by 2019 Pinewood alumnus Hannah Jump with 11, had stood tall for six years before Facelo’s performance. 

According to Head Coach Doc Scheppler, Facelo’s shooting prowess stems from her diligent work ethic in practice and her polished techniques. 

“Alex has always been a great shooter, and the only way that happens is with great consistent form and repetitions,” Scheppler said. 

With seven 3-pointers under her belt by halftime, Facelo knew the record was within reach. 

The team celebrates after the game. (Sam Jezak)

“The coaches were half joking and half serious when they said I needed four more to tie the record, and they started teasing me about breaking it,” Facelo said. “When I hit my eighth one early in the second half, I realized I might actually do it.”

After watching her record-breaking 12th 3-pointer go through the net, Facelo said she was not only immensely proud of herself, but also grateful for the support from her teammates, coaches and parents. 

“It’s really nice having such a supportive group around me, and I think that, more than anything, made me feel accomplished,” Facelo said.