Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

Start of the Spring Sports Season

Pinewood track and field athletes work out on the field.

Spring sports are finally here, and a new season means a fresh slate of sports: baseball, boys tennis, track and field and swimming. With practices now underway, all four teams are excited to represent Pinewood and perform at their best. 

After coming off a 6-8 record last season, the baseball team is gearing up for another season under coach David Kawamoto.

Senior Cole Chatterjee, who has played under Kawamoto his entire high school career, said he is especially looking forward to playing with this year’s team.  

“We’re just trying to win and have fun,” Chatterjee said. “We’re excited to start the season and hopefully get some Ws under our belt.” 

The team has also added new players to the roster, which Chatterjee is thrilled about.

“I think chemistry is off the charts already,” Chatterjee said. “There’s new guys coming in and they’re realizing baseball is fun, so I’m looking forward to playing with those guys.” 

Meanwhile, the boys tennis team led by coach Craig Corfield hopes to improve upon last season’s 4-8 record.  

Freshman Dylan Faerber has spent months preparing for the team’s upcoming season and is excited to get his first taste of high school tennis. 

“Right now, we’ve been getting into it and getting the team assembled,” Faerber said. “Practice has been chill.”

Although the team graduated several seniors last year and is welcoming many new faces this year, Faerber is confident the team dynamic will remain the same.

“I’ll be a new person, and there’s some other new freshman,” Faerber said. “But I mean, it’s still the same people and we know each other well, so I think we’ll be good.”

Similarly, the track and field team is ready to set the season in motion with the addition of new, young runners excited for the opportunity to compete. Freshman Derrick Harris doesn’t know what to expect but is ready to face anything and give his full effort. 

“I don’t have any specific goals right now,” Harris said. “But I’m sure once I get further in the season, I’ll have established some.” 

Despite being a smaller program at Pinewood, the swim team, led by Hannah Fields, has experienced recent success and is ready to begin competing in swim meets starting March 15. Most members of the team swim year  round, citing the school season as a time to improve their endurance and technique.

Junior Michael Bradley, who frequently trains on his own, is more than ready to start the season off strong.

“I think the main goals are just to swim and have fun,” Bradley said. “If we do that, we’ll be just fine in the swim meets.”