The Student News Site of Pinewood School

The Perennial

The Perennial

The Perennial

Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

Lunar New Year Celebration at Pinewood

Sam Jezak

Festivities, music and tradition await Pinewood community members this February 3rd. Where culture joins with community, the Lunar New Year festival at Pinewood Upper Campus creates a space for participants to learn as well as connect with one another through the celebration of culture and harmony.  

The Lunar New Year marks the beginning of the lunisolar calendar year; this celebration holds great importance in many East Asian cultures, such as China and Vietnam, as it honors their ancestors and heavenly deities. 

“It is often a time for family gatherings, feasting, and observing customs that symbolize good luck and prosperity for the upcoming year,” Anne Wong, the director for community and alumni engagement said. 

Sam Jezak

Usually, people celebrating this event use red to decorate their homes as a symbol of luck, happiness and good fortune. Children may receive red envelopes with money inside as small gifts for the occasion. Growing up with this tradition, many might have a sense of nostalgia attached to the event. 

“It is a connection to my memories of times spent with my grandparents when I was a child and future traditions that I share with my kids,” Wong said.

The preparation for this event has been ongoing since December of last year. Students from Mandarin classes will participate in the preparations for the event, along with parents and teacher organizers. Traditional food will be available as well as displays of cultural dances and activities in which people can partake. 

This celebration of prosperity and the new year not only binds people of a similar culture closer together, but also encourages students of different backgrounds to learn about their peers and their unique cultural practices.

“We are stronger together when we all create a space for everyone to belong,” Wong said.