The Student News Site of Pinewood School

The Perennial

The Perennial

The Perennial

Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

Ms. Hemm’s Unconditional Love of Nature

Sam Jezak

Since she was a young girl, Assistant Head of Upper Campus Haley Hemm found solace and wonder in the natural beauty of the world around her, forging a profound connection that would stay with her for the rest of her life.

“I remember in first or third grade, Joan Eagleson was our elementary school librarian whom I’m still very close with,” Hemm said. “I remember telling her I like the ocean and her showing me this beautiful reef book I’ve tried to find ever since, and I was instantly captivated.” 

Even before that, her favorite movie was “Free Willy,” directed by Simon Wincer. The film portrays the bond between a boy and a captive killer whale, which helped establish Hemm’s connection to nature from a very young age. 

Additionally, Hemm’s childhood dog, Comet, was named after Halley’s Comet, the first periodic comet to be recognized. Comet and Hemm would frequently go on adventures in Hemm’s backyard. 

Although Hemm loves all aspects of nature, she says her heart belongs to the ocean.  

I think what I love about it so much is that it feels like another universe,” Hemm said. “It truly feels like another world, like exploring a new planet.” 

Hemm’s love for nature also helped Hemm and history teacher Sam Jezak find their wedding venue. Located at the Seymour Marine Discovery Center in Santa Cruz, Hemm and Jezak celebrated their wedding by the ocean.

“The location was the perfect representation of what we love and who we are,” Hemm said. “If we think about the life we created and the people we are, a wedding near the ocean and the redwood trees was perfect for us.”

Even though Hemm wanted to be a marine biologist as a young girl, being an educator helps her have time to explore both her passions. 

“As an educator, I’m able to do the things I love in education,” Hemm said. “I can also incorporate marine biology into what I’m doing with students, whether it’s the Pinewood Ocean Ambassadors Club or partnering with biology teacher Monica Ventrice for the Madagascar trip.”

Currently, Hemm participates in volunteer reef checks, where she goes scuba diving and collects data from the sites she visits.

“There is so much we can learn about how to live better and more fulfilling lives observing and learning from marine mammals,” Hemm said.