Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

Reading: A Scourge to Society or Benefit to Humankind? Two Opinion Writers Face Off on the Virtues and Drawbacks of the Written Word.

Why I Love Reading
Sophia Lee

The world is suffering a new crisis of the modern era: a loss in the love of reading. Mesmerizing computer screens and the nagging trill of a notification have led this generation down a path of anarchy and destruction.

Books are an open portal to alien worlds and divergent histories. But this century has seen a devastating decrease in reading in free time, and this is being reflected in our generation’s behaviors and knowledge. People like Trevor Koo, my archnemesis in this ongoing debate, are blind to the obvious fact that reading is a wonderful tool and separates those who are willing to think and those who are essentially illiterate.

In order to read a book, one must focus on the page in front of them and allow their brains to grasp the fact that, at the end of the day, it’s all imagination; the reverie a fantasy book prompts or the picture of revolution in a history book are all produced by the mind and its endless capacity for creativity.

Yet, iPhones are simpler. Video games are straightforward. Movies are reflected images of the scenes we play in our heads while reading. Those with the ability to read learn to properly share their perspectives with an audience.

Undoubtedly, Koo would prefer to spend his free time arguing with  internet trolls rather than exercising his brain while reading.

On top of that, an hour of reading is an hour of serenity – an escape from the stress of the modern world. According to recent studies, browsing screens before sleep can lead to a decrease in melatonin production, prolonging the amount of time until one can fall asleep. Books can share stories that can be better interpreted through the written word. So, Koo, are you willing to put in a little effort and pick up a book once in a while, or have you chosen the path of relative illiteracy?