Mr. Green Retires After 18 Years at Pinewood

Colin Ternus

As the raft began to capsize not five minutes into the trip, high school math teacher Scott Green began to panic. In his 37 years of teaching, Green had never experienced something like this before. He was on his first trip as a senior class advisor, a trip that would eventually be wrapped into his legacy at Pinewood, as he is retiring after 18 years at the school.

Over his long career, Green has covered many areas of the math world, from junior high geometry to precalculus to college algebra.

“I’ve pretty much done them all,” Green said, “and I just tried to do the best I can with whatever classes I’m teaching.”

Fellow math teacher Sara Dorset said she admires Green as a mentor for her own classes.

“He was an open book for me, and I really appreciated that,” Dorset said. “I’m going to miss his presence.” 

I personally had Green as a teacher for eighth grade geometry, where he made understanding concepts like the Side-Angle-Side postulate significantly more manageable. He always had a hilarious, relaxed atmosphere in his class that made you comfortable to be his student. Even after somehow passing geometry, I made an effort to visit him after class to get a taste of his hilarious dry humor — something Pinewood will certainly miss.

“One of my favorite memories is when I went into his room and played a random game,” said sophomore Mailey Wang, who had Green in eighth grade. “He has always been a friendly face on campus to talk to.”

Green had been thinking about retiring for the past few years, hoping to go back to his hometown of Chicago.

“I feel like it’s the right time,” Green said.

As a student of his, Green’s legacy is that he sets the bar very high for the teachers that follow. From recounting the last 49ers game to drawing caricatures on the board after we completed a problem, the class was never just a lecture. Green had the unique ability to balance this environment with substantive learning as well.

Green said that he appreciates the supportive community and the camaraderie between the faculty, students and staff at Pinewood.

“When students leave the class, they always say thank you no matter how the class goes, and that’s pretty rare,” Green said.

Green has been a pillar of the community for almost two decades. His quippy, witty humor coupled with his engaging, supportive lessons have helped countless students on their math journeys. The Pinewood community will miss him. I definitely know I will.