The Student News Site of Pinewood School

The Perennial

The Perennial

The Perennial

Flat Earth Fever: Pinewood’s New Cult or Just a Roundabout Misunderstanding?
Didem Becer, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Behind the Catchphrases of Math Teacher Stuart Hamilton
Rishi Chen, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Innocent Chemistry Prank Goes Terribly Wrong
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024

Pinewood Pays Farewell to Multi-Sport Senior Athlete Caden Ng

Sam Jezak
Caden Ng and his family on senior night.

Senior Caden Ng has dealt with many ups and downs throughout his four-year Pinewood sports career. From exhilarating basketball playoff wins to heartbreaking football rivalry losses, his Pinewood athletic experiences have shaped who he has become. With so many amazing memories to look back on, Ng can’t quite put his finger on what he’ll miss the most.

“My favorite games were senior year football against Crystal Springs and Anzar,” Ng said. “But losing on homecoming to Priory was definitely a difficult moment, especially because it was hard losing such a big game.”

Through these experiences, Ng has gained valuable life skills that he has been able to apply on and off the field.

“I learned a lot about working in a strong team bond throughout four years,” Ng said.

Through the team values he’s acquired from playing football under Head Coach Yong Kim, Ng has been able to use them for the greater benefit of both the basketball and football teams. 

In his final basketball season, Ng was known by his teammates and coaches as the hardest worker and best teammate on the court. This was exemplified during the team’s thrilling playoff victory over Eastside Preparatory. Coming off of two regular season losses to them, the team knew they had to make an adjustment if they wanted to keep their season alive. When Ng was tasked with guarding the other team’s best offensive player, he rose to the occasion and left his opponent flustered the entire night. Ng’s dedication to the team was something that stood out to his peers, especially Sophomore Josh Tian.

“Caden is a great teammate and works really hard,” Tian said. “He taught me a lot about work ethic, and he was always looking out for me on the court. We’re gonna miss him.”

Tian also had strong admiration for Ng’s defensive job against Eastside.

“Going into that game, we knew we had to switch things up to get the win,” Tian said. “Caden’s the reason we advanced to the next round. Without him, we would’ve gone home early.”

While Ng’s four-year Pinewood sports career has come to an end, the lessons learned and victories earned will stay with him for years to come.

“Sports was definitely the biggest thing I looked forward to in high school, and it was super enjoyable each year,” Ng said. “I’m gonna miss taking the field with my teammates.”