The Student News Site of Pinewood School

The Perennial

The Perennial

The Perennial

Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

Behind the Armband: Charlotte Van Gent

Sam Jezak
Charlotte Van Gent dribbles past defenders.

It’s a sunny day on the soccer field, and in the center of the action, one athlete stands out in particular—her impressive skill, wholehearted passion and sleek armband are just a few things that make her unique. Meet senior Charlotte van Gent, captain of the Pinewood girls soccer team.

Van Gent’s journey as a soccer player began when her father introduced her to the sport at the age of four. Ever since, she has dedicated substantial amounts of time to soccer, whether it be to Pinewood, her club team or personal training.

Throughout her soccer career, van Gent has played for many teams. She played for Woodside Soccer Club when she was little, and then transferred to Alpine Strikers, now known as Stanford Strikers, when she got older.

Van Gent has also been a member of the Pinewood girls soccer team for all four years of high school and a captain for her last two. As a captain, van Gent believes she is more than just a skilled player, but also a spirited leader who finds joy in mentoring her teammates.

“As a senior captain, I like helping out a lot of the freshmen and sophomores that maybe haven’t played a lot before,” van Gent said.

While actively participating in both club and Pinewood soccer, van Gent favors Pinewood soccer.

“I love Pinewood soccer a lot more than club soccer,” van Gent said. “I think I enjoy it a lot more because I can do more for the team.”

Van Gent’s proudest moment of this season came in a game against a skilled Gunderson High School team. On Dec. 17, Pinewood was trailing Gunderson 3-1 at halftime. They made a huge comeback and managed to tie the game at 3-3. Even though their effort didn’t result in a win, she was incredibly proud of her team’s perseverance. 

“I feel like sometimes when we’re losing we get really sad and give up,” van Gent said. “But I was really proud of us that we came back and tied it up.”

Overall, van Gent’s high school career has been a rewarding experience for her. In her junior year, van Gent received the First Team All-League award, currently her biggest accomplishment on the soccer field. Off the field, van Gent’s experience as an athlete has taught her many lessons and shaped her into the person she is today.

“Soccer has helped me gain confidence in myself and helped me make a lot of friends,” van Gent said. “I’ve also learned to be more resilient.”