Flat Earth Fever: Pinewood’s New Cult or Just a Roundabout Misunderstanding?
Didem Becer, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Behind the Catchphrases of Math Teacher Stuart Hamilton
Rishi Chen, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Innocent Chemistry Prank Goes Terribly Wrong
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024

2024 Space Spectacles

Elizabeth Liang

Throughout 2024, the night sky will be a celestial canvas painted with several cosmic wonders. From meteor showers to eclipses, space has many compositions waiting to be displayed in the sky. 

Feb. 24: Full Snow Moon 

The Snow Moon will reach its maximum at 4:30 a.m., allowing it to be seen the night before on Feb. 23. A Snow Moon is a full moon whose name is inspired by the distinctive snowy winters in the northern parts of America. 

March 24 to 25: Penumbral Lunar Eclipse 

The eclipse will begin on Mar. 24 at 9:53 p.m. and reach its maximum on Mar. 25 at 12:12 a.m.. The Eclipse will end on Mar. 25 at 2:32 a.m., lasting four hours and 39 minutes. Penumbral lunar eclipses occur when the Sun, Earth, and Moon are aligned while the moon is at its full moon phase.   

April 8: The Great North American Total Eclipse of the Sun

The eclipse will last approximately four minutes, beginning at 8:42 a.m. and ending at 1:52 p.m.. It will be a partial eclipse in Los Altos Hills due to the sun primarily traveling through the eastern part of the United States. The path of the Eclipse will begin with Mexico and make a diagonal journey through Texas, Arkansas, Indiana, and New York. During a total solar eclipse, the moon covers the sun, casting a dark shadow on the Earth 

April 15-29: Lyrid Meteor Shower 

This meteor shower will peak on the night of Apr. 22. Although the view of the meteor shower might be hindered by the full moon occurring in conjunction with the shower, the meteors will rain profusely on the atmosphere. This phenomenon ensues when a series of meteors pass through the atmosphere and get set on fire, producing light streaks illuminating the night sky. 

Aug. 11-12: The Perseid Meteor Shower 

Although the Perseid Meteor Shower will transpire from July 14 to Sept. 1, the meteors can be seen on Aug. 11-12 nights. This annual meteor shower is one of the most popular because of its yearly appearance.  

Oct. 2: “Ring of Fire” Eclipse of the Sun

This eclipse will occur at 10:22 a.m.. During this spectacle, the moon will glide before the sun, causing a “ring of fire” effect in the sky. This means that the moon will not fully cover the sun, revealing only an outline of the sun. 

Oct. 17: Biggest Full Moon of 2024 – “Super Hunter’s Moon” 

A supermoon occurs when a full moon coincides with its closest approach to Earth in its orbit, allowing it to appear larger and brighter in the sky. This full moon is known as a “Super Hunter’s moon,” due to its association with increasing moonlight for hunters in autumn.