The Student News Site of Pinewood School

The Perennial

The Perennial

The Perennial

All hands-on deck for the clean-up effort following the incident.
Beloved Fish Tank Explodes in College Counseling Office
Abigail Kamenetsky and Jolyn Ding February 20, 2024
Senior Alex Facelo shoots during the Feb. 2 game.
Senior Alex Facelo Breaks Pinewood Basketball Records
Brandon Ge, Copy Editor & Sports Writer • February 8, 2024
2024 Space Spectacles
2024 Space Spectacles
Kaavya Mehrotra, Science & Tech Writer • February 4, 2024

Take Note Releases Fifth EP

Courtesy of Skylar Chui

On Sept. 19, Pinewood’s a cappella group Take Note released their fifth extended play record. Following the group’s tradition of releasing a new EP each year, “Every Little Thing,” was recorded at the end of the 2022-23 school year, and features covers of “Every Little Thing She Does is Magic,” “Called You Again,” “The Middle” and “Call Me Irresponsible.”

Following the release of the EP, Take Note director Katie Linza reflected on the recording process.

“I really love getting to know each singer’s voice and musicianship skills better, and I love watching and hearing them grow as musicians right in front of our eyes,” Linza said. “We really dig into the minute details of each song in the studio and it’s a lot of fun to really dive deep into these songs and arrangements.”

The new EP features songs representing a wide variety of genres from pop to jazz to folk, which Linza said to be the result of personal strengths and preferences of Take Note members. 

“Selecting music this way often leads to a pretty eclectic selection, but I kind of like that it is a little all over the place,” Linza said.

Linza still appreciates the impact of the EP and her experience with Take Note as a whole.  

There’s nothing more pure and vulnerable than the human voice and using voices to create an orchestra of sounds is really magical,” Linza said. “I love that we can personalize our music so specifically in this group and, in doing so, I’d like to think that we’re bringing out each singer’s strengths, which is a thrill.”

Tu similarly reflected on her experience with Take Note and a cappella. 

“In terms of why people including me like to join a cappella groups, I think it’s because you can meet a lot of cool people and make music together,” Tu said.