Flat Earth Fever: Pinewood’s New Cult or Just a Roundabout Misunderstanding?
Didem Becer, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Behind the Catchphrases of Math Teacher Stuart Hamilton
Rishi Chen, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Innocent Chemistry Prank Goes Terribly Wrong
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024

A Teary Goodbye to Journalism’s Senior Editors

Senior+edits+pictured+from+left+to+right%3A+Sophia+Yao%2C+Arjun+Kelkar%2C+Brandon+Ge%2C+Karina+Aronson%2C+Raghav+Ramgopal%2C+Emma+Hwang%2C+Colin+Ternus+and+Sophia+Cheng.+
Sam Jezak
Senior edits pictured from left to right: Sophia Yao, Arjun Kelkar, Brandon Ge, Karina Aronson, Raghav Ramgopal, Emma Hwang, Colin Ternus and Sophia Cheng.

Karina Aronson

I knew you when I was five years old. Though our conversations were likely lacking in those first few years, you have since become a role model for me in every way. Calm and collected, you led journalism with an obvious passion and unending kindness. I would be lucky to be half the writer you are. You constantly have a smile on your face, and I can always count on you for timely advice or quick chats in the hallway. Your contagious laugh and easygoing nature made every meeting and interaction memorable and fun. As for our shared journey in AP Art History, I will forever be grateful for your guidance and amazing study advice. Not only this, but your passion for journalism has inspired my own plans in this field. I am permanently indebted to you because of your invaluable help with summer programs. You had no reason to take the time to support me and check in with applications, but you did so anyway. Karina, I am so lucky to have gotten to work with you and become closer friends with you these past two years. I will miss your powerfully selfless presence next year, but I wish you nothing but the best at UCLA. I know you will achieve fantastic things. 

– Violet Negrette

Sophia Cheng

Sophia, nothing is going to change my mind — you are the single most real person I have ever met. When I first joined journalism, I could tell that you truly cared about writing. Journalism is an extension of you, and so you make it worth it. Your passion and perseverance is something that speaks for itself. I remember speaking to you about journalism as a sophomore — you loved journalism and everything that it stands for but wanted newer students to see this for themselves. As editor-in-chief this year, you have shown up to every meeting with an excitement to teach, showing newer writers the fulfillment that writing can bring. Outside of journalism, I will never forget each time you have given me advice — advice that I definitely needed to hear. You are amazingly perceptive. Earlier this year, you saw me in the hallway talking about college and offered to tell me about your personal college admissions journey in hopes that it would help me on my own. You are passionate and interesting, and I can always count on you for an honest thought. I hope that you leave Pinewood knowing that you have single handedly made journalism what it is, and that it is better for it. Sophia, I will be forever grateful to have you as my role model and my friend. You are a force that will truly be missed next year, but we all know that you will achieve great things. 

– Annabelle Eaton

Sophia Yao 

Sophia, Sophia, Sophia, it’s hard to express how much your presence has meant to me over the past several years. From looking up to you as a seventh grader in junior high PE to our collaboration in ASB and on The Perennial staff, I’ve had the opportunity to experience your contagious energy and humor in many capacities. You have been a force to be reckoned with no matter the setting. Last year, as my Opinion Editor, you were a constant source of support, helping me brainstorm unique ideas and pushing me to explore my voice as a writer. Your leadership style, the perfect combination of encouragement and constructive criticism, became a skill I later carried with me when I stepped into an editor role myself. As Editorial Director, you faced the challenge of having enough pieces for each issue, but your perseverance never wavered. While your contributions to the Perennial have been invaluable over the years, this dedication wasn’t limited to journalism. I still remember when you took an Uber straight from the airport after a long six-hour flight, ready to optimistically participate in an ASB meeting. Most importantly, through all these experiences, I gained a friend. From bonding over our shared love of Zach Bryan to making it through layout fueled by canned Starbucks cold brew, you had a knack for making even the most serious situations fun. We will miss you, your creativity and your spirit next year, but I know that you will kill it at Dartmouth! They’re lucky to have you, Sophia. Go Big Green!

– Prisha Mohapatra

Raghav Ramgopal

Raghav, I have known you for almost five years now, and I have had the pleasure of being your News co-editor this past year. I remember, being in seventh grade, seeing this mysterious eighth-grader on Zoom for the first time and thinking to myself: “why can I only see this guy’s forehead?” You received writer of the month and accepted it with an awkward “thank you.” Out of curiosity, I read your article that earned you the monthly award and instantly knew that you were going to serve as my role model for the rest of my journalistic career — as a writer, as a leader and as a friend. Seeing you go from a shy and crafty writer to silent, but diligent copy editor to my news editor and, finally, to my co-editor has been incredible. As one of your past writers, I am so lucky to have received your honesty, insight and constructive criticism. As your co-editor, it is with great pride that I can claim I had the opportunity to work with you. I admire the way you are able to connect with our writers, communicate your thoughts clearly and with care and constantly encourage others to be the best versions of themselves at The Perennial. You truly bring me and those around you joy, and you will be sincerely missed at The Perennial. Thank you for always being someone I can rely on and being that person for others, especially our writers. As you turn the page on senior year, I hope your next chapter allows you to be the compassionate, kind, witty, Raghav that I know. Brown University is extremely lucky to have you. Good luck next year and remember to visit! 🙂

– Christina Tanase

Colin Ternus

Colin, at the beginning of the year, I was missing a photograph during layout, and you immediately jumped up to help me. That was when I knew that this year’s creative department of The Perennial was going to be amazing. Your ability to create in a stressful, fast paced environment really shined, and I’m so grateful for all that you’ve done to help the Opinion section of the paper. Your article on cars was incredibly humorous and really gave me a glimpse of your personality and your love for mechanical engineering. You have no idea how impressed I am that you were able to write articles while also managing your role as a photo editor. Beyond your work at the Perennial, I had the privilege of running into you and watching your band perform at School of Rock, and I was absolutely starstruck at your group’s musical talent and stage presence. It’s clear that you’re a really well rounded individual – with interests stemming from the mathematical subjects like mechanical engineering to the most creative mediums of all time: photography, writing and music. Thank you so much for all that you’ve done for us editors, and I hope you have a wonderful time at Purdue!  

– Abigail Kamenetsky

Brandon Ge

Brandon, in the few years that I’ve known you, I’ve been lucky enough to not only witness but also play a role in your evolution as a journalistic writer. From your first three years as a staff writer to your role as copy editor this year, you’ve taken tremendous strides with your storytelling ability and have developed a knack for expressing yourself through word. Your contributions to The Perennial, not only this year but in years past as well, have been paramount to the continual improvement of our paper. Without you, the Pinewood community never would have learned about the talents of Mia Su, your eye-opening experience playing on the football team or your childhood connection to basketball. With every article, you opened your heart a little more and allowed yourself to be vulnerable, making your pieces that much better. You’ve taught me that it’s not always the most elaborate writing that grabs people’s attention; instead, it’s the writing that makes you feel something. Given the excellence of your writing, you’ve also challenged me to be a better section editor, always asking keen questions and making profound suggestions. Thank you for pushing journalism forward and continually raising the standard at The Perennial. Last but not least, thank you for your work as a copy editor this year. You consistently showed your dedication to copy editing by always showing up to layout, finishing your edits on time and making a concerted effort to do your best with AP Style. Everything you’ve done for us will not be forgotten, and you will be missed on staff!

– Jolyn Ding

Senior editors at their final day of layout. (Sam Jezak)

Emma Hwang

Emma, you truly never cease to amaze. Just as you always liven up conversation in layout, your illustrations have livened up our paper and elevated it to new levels I have never seen before. For the Arts & Culture section, which naturally demands more color and creativity than the more formal sections of the paper, your work really tied all of my pages together so incredibly well. I struggle to pick a favorite among your many Louvre-worthy pieces, but my personal bias compels me to shout out your illustration for my Adele hate article. I could extol your illustrations forever, but I’ll stop myself here to mention your positivity and humor. I am hardly alone in recognizing how you light up Room 17 with your wit and enthusiastic spirit, which I appreciated very much as we worked into the evening. In this past year, you may have observed that I am not the most visually-inclined person, so I was incredibly thankful for every time you checked my page and kindly guided me to make it at least visually palatable if not aesthetically pleasing. Above all, I hope you leave Pinewood well aware of the impact you have made on me and all of my fellow section editors. I also hope that Dartmouth is well aware that they are about to receive perhaps the most intelligent, creative and hardworking student that Pinewood has to offer. I understand that you will be far, far away on the East Coast by this time next year, but I desperately urge you to consider honoring us with a visit or two before then. I suppose there’s just one way I’d like to conclude this blurb: Emma, goodbye for now, but hopefully not for long!

– Michael Shtrom

Arjun Kelkar

When we sat down at lunch to discuss the role of Web Editor nearly a year ago, I instantly knew that The Perennial website would be in good hands. Time and time again you demonstrated your enthusiasm, perceptiveness and innovative self. After learning how to work the website and taking on the publishing responsibilities effortlessly, you proceeded to elevate the site to new heights. Thanks to you, viewers can now see a sports score bar and a countdown to the next break. Anyone who browses the site (which might be a significant amount of people judging by the slightly unhinged comment section) will see the effort you put into cultivating a well-functioning and visually-appealing platform. Not only have you contributed continuously to the digital Perennial, but you’ve also been dedicated to the physical paper, enhancing the News section by reporting on various aspects of The Pinewood community, whether that be a teacher spotlight or a Diwali celebration. Thank you for all you’ve done for the Perennial. Berkeley will be lucky to have a driven and creative student like you, and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

– Kathleen Xie