Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

As 2024 Election Unfolds, Panthers Vote for the First Time

Aretha Liu

On March 5, Pinewood seniors will be able to vote for the first time: a very exciting but also nerve-racking experience. Many students dream of the moment they can have an influence on their country and have their voice heard. The right to vote given to seniors does just that.

Senior Rohan Parasnis has similar passionate feelings.

“I am excited to vote for the first time,” Parasnis said, “I see voting as a privilege of this country, and I am excited to now make the most of it and to have my voice heard.”

However, for a new voter to be well prepared and informed, they must seek guidance from trustworthy news sources and those around them. For this, Pinewood students can rely on Advanced Placement U.S. Government teacher Sophie Williams.

“[In A.P. U.S. Government], we talk a lot about media and how we think critically about what we consume,” Williams said. “‘Is Tik Tok a reliable news source?’ or ‘Where should I go to find my news?’ because sometimes Tik Tok is a reliable news source, but not all the time.”        

Similarly, Pinewood seniors agree that their government classes have helped them stay informed while not influencing their political decisions. 

“I don’t think they have influenced my decision making, but they show you ways that you can get informed,” said senior Joseph Makower. “I use CNN as well as some websites provided by my [AP Government] teacher to inform myself about various candidates and current news in politics.”

As a result of their government class, Pinewood seniors are ready to vote in the upcoming election and have an influence in the political world. Williams shares some helpful advice with seniors who are planning to vote.

“Register early so that you don’t have to worry about it,” Williams said. “California ballots are really long and it’s gonna be really confusing if you get to the booth and have no idea about any of the measures that are there. So research before you go.”