Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

Pinewood Scholars Program Innovates

Students Learn Through Field Trips, Networking, & Guest Speakers

Pinewood offers a unique set of courses for juniors and seniors dedicated to positively impacting their community. The Pinewood Scholars Program, led by English teacher Michelle Gannon, helps students create social entrepreneurship projects related to their passions. Through Social Entrepreneurship 1 and 2, students learn the skills necessary to develop and implement these initiatives.

“Students engage in exploring significant global problems and developing innovative solutions that drive transformative social change,” Gannon said.

Students interact with local social entrepreneurship leaders on various field trips within the course.

“Field trips provide invaluable opportunities to witness mission-driven leaders in action,” Gannon said. “By experiencing various initiatives firsthand, students gain insights into practical aspects of social entrepreneurship and witness the impact of innovative solutions on local communities.”

This year, the program is employing a new approach to field trips. Instead of pre-decided trips, students research and pitch local initiatives that they would like to visit, and the group collaboratively makes decisions on locations to visit, including the St. Francis Center, Chick-fil-A and Hidden Villa.

In addition to field trips, guest speakers come to class to teach skills learned from practical experience.

“Speaker sessions provide students with a direct connection to professionals in their fields of interest, offering students the opportunity to glean practical knowledge, learn about current trends and understand the challenges and opportunities present in their chosen industries,” Gannon said.

To help prepare students for their careers after Pinewood, PSP students engage in networking events with parents and other professionals. These events are opportunities for students to gain insight into potential career paths within the realm of social entrepreneurship. Students are encouraged to exchange ideas, ask questions and receive guidance from experienced members of their field.

“Students hone their networking skills in real-world settings, potentially forging partnerships or connections with organizations and mentors for their projects,” Gannon said.

These parent events give students a safe space to discuss the potentially sensitive topics their projects may cover, as well as celebrate the journey they and their peers have undergone in developing their initiatives.

“Since students undertake projects with deep personal significance while stepping out of their comfort zone, parental involvement ensures they understand and support the mission of the program, fostering discussions at home about their child’s experiences,” Gannon said. “I want my PSP families to talk about my class and their projects over the dinner table.”

This year’s cohort of juniors and seniors have tackled a wide range of pressing issues. Senior Anika Nambisan is developing a young adult graphic novel addressing domestic violence for the nonprofit Chest of Hope. Junior Alakh Kapadia is developing a medical tool with AI to revolutionize healthcare. Junior Christina Tanase is combining her web skills with her passion for environmental sustainability to inspire teens to protect our planet’s future.

“Each project is unique and impactful in its own right, reflecting the passion and dedication of our students towards creating positive change in the world,” Gannon said.