Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

Lemmon Leaves Pinewood

After Seven Years as a Panther, Head of Upper Campus Seeks New Career Opportunities
Courtesy: Pinewood SmugMug
Lemmon reads seniors a picture book at the first day of school assembly, as has been his yearly tradition.

Head of Upper Campus Gabriel Lemmon will be leaving Pinewood at the end of this school year on June 30. He has served the school for seven years and made many changes to the school community. After working as the principal at The American School Foundation of Guadalajara for six years, he and his family arrived at Pinewood and transitioned into the new, inviting environment easily.    

“I remember that at the opening day assembly, the student activities director asked me if I was willing to sit in a kiddie pool and be drenched in water,” Lemmon said. “I thought, ‘This is my kind of place. They know how to have fun.’”

As Lemmon got to know the community, he helped to incorporate Mandarin courses, the Pinewood Scholars Program, weekly advisory periods and a diversity, equity and inclusion program.

Assistant Head of Upper Campus Haley Hemm said that Lemmon’s initiatives taught students to assist the needs of communities outside of Pinewood and focus on the needs of students as individuals.

“Those programs are clear signifiers that at Pinewood we should be caring about the whole person beyond just our community,” Hemm said. “And that’s a really powerful message.”

It is a message that Lemmon lives every day, and faculty and students will miss him.

Lemmon makes a throw in a 2019 Staff vs. Seniors ultimate frisbee game. (SmugMug)

Pinewood alumnus Myles Fox, who graduated in 2023 and was extremely close to Lemmon, said that Lemmon provided in areas ranging all the way from college applications and sports to mental health and social identity.

“What made Mr. Lemmon stand out more than any other administrator was not just his ability to listen but to know how to support you in the way you needed,” Fox said.

Fox said that juggling high school and college applications was a struggle, but Lemmon helped him manage the stress. When Fox received his first college acceptance letter, he shared the news with Lemmon and watched his face light up.

“Mr. Lemmon, out of anyone at Pinewood, knew how driven I was and still am as a student, and I think he really appreciated it, especially on that day,” Fox said.

Lemmon has worked with hundreds of students and many faculty during his years at Pinewood, but it’s his kindness that will be remembered.

“If something’s going on, and you’re not at school that day, he’s going to check in on you to make sure you’re okay and to see if he can do anything for you,” Hemm said. “Our days can be so busy, but he takes the time to reach out for the human stuff, and that’s something I’m going to take with me.”

Fox said that he is sad to hear about Lemmon’s departure, but wishes luck to Lemmon and his family in their future endeavors.

“​​His presence on campus will be sorely missed,” Fox said. “I hope that the next Head of Upper Campus can bring the same light that Mr. Lemmon shined so brightly onto campus.”

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Lemmon led the effort to keep Pinewood’s community safe, successfully implementing a hybrid learning system that allowed students to continue learning in-person. (SmugMug)

As Pinewood handles its quest for a new Head of Upper Campus, Hemm, too, hopes they will be able to uphold Lemmon’s standards for a considerate environment.

Lemmon said he’ll always remember Pinewood.

“I hope that wherever I go next prioritizes its community as much as Pinewood does, ” Lemmon said. “I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve the community in this role, and I will carry with me this school in my heart wherever I go.”