Pinewood Choirs Sing and Learn in Brazil Trip
Esha Joshi, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Matilda Comes to Pinewood
"Matilda" Comes to Pinewood
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Student Protest Causes Chaos
Pinewood Students Demand Equal Rights for all Numbers
Kaavya Mehrotra, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024

Pinewood Offers SAT For First Time and Experiences PSAT Troubles

Sophia Lee

On Oct. 11, sophomores and juniors took the digital version of the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test for the first time, and the seniors took the paper version of the Scholastic Aptitude Test, which was offered at Pinewood for the first time.

The digital PSAT has significant differences from the paper version previously used. The paper version of the PSAT had lengthy reading passages unlike the short passages on the digital PSAT. In the math section of the digital PSAT, word problems are shorter and the use of the calculator is allowed for both math sections instead of only one. The software has a calculator feature available for use during testing.

Preparation for the new digital PSAT was led by Director of Academic Systems Jennifer King. King arrived on campus at 5:45 a.m. to set up the instructions and tests. Preparation for King went smoothly until the technological issues began appearing at 7:40 a.m.. Some devices failed to work due to iOS 17; College Board had not warned the coordinators about this problem until it was too late. King, with the help of  K-12 Technology Specialist Sean Clark, was able to solve the problem by being calm and patient. Despite these issues, King still supports the digital format on the PSAT. 

“Honestly, I think it’s a good idea.  I’ve been doing this now for four years,” King said. “My fourth PSAT, it’s my first digital one, digital makes it easier for a lot of people. It shortens the testing time for students. Honestly, I think this is way better than paper pencil. Your life is digital now. I think it was about time, but I think they should have had these bugs worked out earlier.”

Pinewood’s first paper SAT test for seniors did not face many obstacles.

“I thought it was really good,” senior Sachi Urushima said. “The one thing that could be better was that it was pretty loud because it was in one of the classrooms and there were kids outside,” Urushima said. “But I think that it was very organized and went much quicker than when I did it before outside of school. So I think that Pinewood should continue to offer the SAT.”

King would love to continue offering the SAT in the next few years. However, finding the right time for it to take place without taking time away from school or interfering with students’ schedules is a big struggle.