Flat Earth Fever: Pinewood’s New Cult or Just a Roundabout Misunderstanding?
Didem Becer, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Behind the Catchphrases of Math Teacher Stuart Hamilton
Rishi Chen, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Innocent Chemistry Prank Goes Terribly Wrong
Addison Parenti, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024

Addison’s Review of Macbeth

Sophia Lee

“Ugh, I hate Shakespeare,” my classmates say. “Shakespeare’s so boring.” But, in my humble opinion, that is not the case. Shakespeare is a literary genius, carefully weaving in rhetorical devices, developing fascinating characters and creating impactful stories. “Macbeth” is an example of Shakespeare’s brilliance, full of captivating characters, an exhilarating plot and transfixing rhetorical devices.

The play follows the story of the infamous Macbeth, a merciless Scottish nobleman who betrays his country in order to become king. The story begins with the three witches who set the scene for what’s to come. In the following scene, Macbeth is appointed to a higher position after defeating a traitor in war. The witches then predict to Macbeth that he will eventually be king of Scotland. Macbeth interprets this as a promise and goes on to plot how he will be king. He decides he must murder Duncan and anyone who stops in order to be king. The plot thickens as characters betray each other and face death.

In addition to the invigorating plot, the appealing characters are what make “Macbeth” the masterpiece it is. Lady Macbeth is the most interesting character in the play because of her significant character development. She starts off as Macbeth’s cunning, ruthless partner-in-crime, but as the darkness of the crime takes over, she begins to lose her cold-bloodedness and takes her own life. Contrarily, Macbeth has no interest in murdering his cousin, but, after committing the crime, he is taken over by his newfound power, shamelessly taking down anyone in his way.

Not only are the characters intriguing, but the way Shakespeare incorporates rhetorical devices is remarkable. For example, the way the witches speak is distinct from the other characters, but at times, certain characters start speaking like the witches, making the audience wonder whether the witches are controlling them or if it’s just a coincidence. Similarly, he makes use of several symbols and extended metaphors throughout the play, the most memorable being the symbol of the hands and the eyes.

Because of its entrancing plot, complex characters and fascinating use of rhetoric, “Macbeth” is Shakespeare’s finest play.