Pinewood Introduces Hunger Games: May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor

Violet Negrette, Arts & Culture Writer

In light of COVID-19 restrictions lessening, Upper Campus Principal Gabriel Lemmon has decided to incorporate a new tradition into the Pinewood lifestyle in addition to the many other changes the community has faced. 

“Now that the coronavirus has started to die down, I decided that we needed something to bring back the competitive spirit to Pinewood students,” Lemmon said. “What better way than to introduce an annual Hunger Games?” 

So far, the games have been mostly voluntary, with students lining up to get a chance to freely attack one another for the epic fame and glory of a victor. 

“Once I saw the sign-up sheets, I knew that my time had come. I have been waiting for this moment my entire life,” freshman Lacey Armistead, who is dedicated to the image of her success, said.

Another student, senior Sania Choudhary, shares a similar view to Armistead but is armed with a cunning strategy.

“When you think of the previous Hunger Games winners, you think of the fighters who beat up people left and right,” Choudhary said. “This time, I’m going to set up a perfect place to hide, where I will camp out until the games are over. It’s a foolproof plan, as long as no one else knows it.” 

Lemmon has altered the school’s layout to adequately accommodate the upcoming event by demolishing rooms one through four, claiming that the English teachers would appreciate the sacrifice in the name of good literature. There are also plans to clear out the area in a one mile radius by destroying neighboring houses. It is currently unclear whether or not that plan will come to fruition. 

Head over to the field on May 32 to witness friend turn against friend. Food and beverages will be provided in the Snack Shack, and regular updates will be shared during classes. 

For anyone interested in volunteering as tribute, feel free to email @katnisseverdeen2.0 or find a nearby sign up sheet. May the odds be ever in your favor.