Hot Off the Press: Overheard at Pinewood

Arjun Kelkar, News Writer

Many things are said on campus everyday; whether it is during a lesson in a classroom or at the lunch table, there are many jokes and witty comments made. The Perennial’s new “Overheard at Pinewood” column seeks to appreciate some of these comments and remind students to find little nuggets of joy in their long, busy days.

Food for Thought A group of students sit around a table on the Murphy Patio during lunch questioning the way time functions: “Time moves slower with a mask on.”

Break Bombardment A student is greeted with an influx of “your mom” jokes while peacefully standing outside of room 17 and things get personal: “All these ‘your mom’ comments lately have been out of pocket.” 

Friendly Classroom Banter Studiously sitting in a science classroom, a class engages in an academic discussion about automobiles: “You don’t need a license to hit someone with a truck.” 

Words of Wisdom While future computer scientists clack away on trinket.io, their teacher always reminds them of one crucial piece of advice: “I don’t always try to be cool. The whole universe is cool. It’s the warm bits that matter.” 

Literary Adventures As the junior class reads “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain, they not only analyze the significance of vernacular used in the novel, but grow a deeper appreciation for their parents as well: “You know, we really should respect our parents. They passed literature without SparkNotes.”

Searching for a Sine Calculus students do not just stop at finding the proofs of formulas—their critically-thinking minds want to find a proof for math itself: “Maybe math teachers are just pirates using us to find the X.”